There are so many things running through my head right now, I don't know where to start, where to expound, and where to outright drop.
I have a list of blog posts I'd like to write. I wrote this list as I was trying to fall asleep the night we stayed in OKC. I was worn out, and had fallen asleep pretty easily, but was woken once or twice as I noticed that Tony wasn't sleeping, but was up on the computer. Then, as he came to bed, I really woke up. I got on the computer, started catching up on blogs that I hadn't read. That's when I noticed how frickin' frackin' cold it was. I looked in the hotel closet and actually found an extra blanket! Hallelujah! Not the thickest blanket in the chest, it was the only one I had. I went to get a $2.00 bottle of water from the vending machine (seriously - $2.00), and came back to the room. After about an hour or so of reading blogs, I finally decided it was time for bed. As I threw off my blanket and started to freeze my pajama pants off, it finally dawned on me to check the thermostat. You know, the one on the wall about 3 inches above my head while I was reading from the computer? It was at 63. 63! The daytime temp in OKC was about 114, so lets set the thermostat to sixty-frickin'-three?! I upped it to a more desirable temperature, 72 or so, thinking that this should shut off the wickedly cold air. As I went to bed, wondering when the vent would shut off, I started to notice a smell. You know the smell. The one that comes the first time you turn on your heat after summer? Like somethings burning and it's not just the gas to produce the heat? Luckily, my brain was turning at some sort of speed and I figured out that my over-achieving room air conditioner/furnace had switched to heat mode to heat the room from an icy 63 to 72! I got out of my nice, warm, cozy niche in bed, went to that muther-luvin' thermostat and turned the damn thing off. Finally - quiet (except for Mia's snoring) and a naturally warming room.
At this point, is when my mind would no longer shut down and I picked up the paper and pen that were conveniently left by the bed, and started to write down blog posts that sounded great, and that I was already beginning to write in my head. About 12 ideas later, I finally fell asleep.
Some of those ideas have already come to fruition, amazingly enough. However, since I wrote them when the idea was not necessarily fresh, I feel that they could be so much better. That there could be so much more emotion to them, more of me in them.
As they are drafted, I continue to think about these posts and what else could be done with them. Even after they are posted, I want to go back, edit them and make them better.
But, I'm not going to. I'm going to use those ideas to make my posts better in the future. I'm going to get better at pouring myself into a story, into my posts. Maybe they will seem like fluff to me. Maybe down the line I will look at them as necessary steps to propel my writing to the next level. Maybe I will think they are brilliant (doubt it) and try to see it through the eyes of my kids as they read these posts.
Will my blogging, my writing, be the antique that gets passed down from me, to my kids, to my grand kids? Will this be what they tell their kids so many years from now, "Using a laser to melt snow off the driveway is not difficult or time consuming. Remember, you're grandparents used to SHOVEL that stuff with their own two hands and one back! Look, we even have pictures!"
With that all said, and this rambling girl falling asleep at the computer, I will wrap this up and say, "Keep those thermostats normal, hang on to your history and spay and neuter your pets."
No comments:
Speak Your Mind...
Speak Your Mind...